Saturday, April 9, 2016

Where have I been?

Wow! It's been awhile since I have blogged.  This year, I have been  stressed out. I needed to take a step back and do more for myself as well as my family.  See this year, my daughter started Kindergarten.  Well, being a Kindergarten teacher and having a Kindergartner at home really takes a toll on you. LOL! I am surrounded by Kindergarten 24/7. Eeeekk!!! Yup! That's my life! I'm not going to lie. At times, it did take a toll on me, but you know what? I wouldn't change it for anything. I LOVE my kiddos! I LOVE my little girl! I LOVE ALL the Kindergarten CRAZINESS!

Well, over the past few months I have fault guilty. You know that guilt.  The Teacher Mom Guilt! 

I came across this blog post  on "Keeping Up With Mrs. Harris" and it spoke to me. 

It got me thinking about all the sacrifices my daughter faces with me being a teacher, as well as, my husband being a teacher.

Meals-  My daughter eats breakfast, lunch, and snacks at school. Due to the fact that I have to be at work so early each morning, she has to eat breakfast in the car or in my classroom each morning. I felt guilty for not being able to give her that time  each morning that  a normal child sits down at the table and eats their breakfast.  I felt guilty.  This  needed to change. I make it a point to  sit down with her each morning and eat breakfast at my teacher table . It has now become routine and kind of a mommy-daughter date.

Long Hours at School-  You know we  all spend those long hours at school. We never feel like we have everything done. I was the same way.  Majority of her day is at school.  I  felt bad. Many days she just wanted to be home and playing with her toys. I made the decision that no matter what I needed to leave at a decent time. Whatever  wasn't done by that time would have to wait until the next day.  

School Work at Home- This was a BIGGIE for me! I always, ALWAYS brought things home to work on. I would come home, cook dinner, and right after dinner start working on things for my classroom, TPT store, or even my blog. This had to change. I wasn't giving her my attention.  Now we come home,  we read together, play together, and she  plays while I cook dinner. It's our time together. I make sure that  I don't touch any thing for school until after she goes to bed and I have had a little down time for myself.

Overall, I needed to take this time to be with my family.  I needed the time to figure out  how to balance everything. Yes, I LOVE my students. I didn't want to take away from making learning fun for them,  but I was overworking myself and it was taking a toll on my family.  I needed to be there for my family. I needed to  step back and figure it all out. I have! I'm back and I'm ready to get back into things again. I can't wait to share more with you all.

Leave some love and let me know how you balance everything in your teacher life.

No comments: