Friday, August 1, 2014

Flashy Fireflies

Good Morning! Man, can you believe that it is already August? I can't! I go back next week for PD and then I will be at my school the following week to setup my classroom. My brain hasn't fully accepted the fact that I will be back so soon. I guess I need to get my little self into gear.

Anywho, I have been home with my daughter for most of the summer. My husband and I sent her to camp at her school a few days during the week. I still worked with her throughout the summer on letter recognition and sounds. One night when I was volunteering at her VBS, they were doing an activity with flashlights. The kids absolutely LOVED it! We put pictures of farm animals up all of the hallways, turned off the lights, and the kids had to go around shining their flashlights onto the pictures. This got me thinking and I came up with this.


(Click on the picture to go to my store.)

I tested it out with my daughter. I hung up the picture card fireflies in the hallway, turned out the lights, and then had her come in with a flashlight. I would say a sound and she had to find the firefly with the picture that begins with the sound I said. 







She really enjoyed using the flashlight and finding the fireflies. I can definitely see this being a hit with my Kindergarten students. I made 2 versions of this activity for you. One is picture cards for identifying beginning sounds and the other set is an alphabet version for letter recognition.

Check out these beauties that I found in the Dollar Section at my local Target.


They are perfect for $1 each. I got 10 of them all in silver. They had green, blue, red, and silver. I decided to get all the same color so that I didn't have anyone complaining about not having a certain color. 

So, what do you think? I can't wait to use it with my students. 

No comments: